- Read the application carefully and answer all HPEP Applicant questions.
If you have questions regarding this application email email@example.com or call 775-784-4901.
- Upload a copy of the following with your application:
- Letter of acceptance from your professional program. If you are currently enrolled in your professional program, include a copy of your unofficial transcript.
- Nevada driver’s license to demonstrate residency. To be eligible, your Nevada driver’s license must have an issue date of at least one year prior to the submission of this application. *If you have just renewed your license, please include a copy of the first page of your 2023 U.S. Federal Tax Return. The purpose is to comply with NRS 397.060 that requires applicants to have at least 1 year of residence in the state immediately before applying for program.
Limited HPEP Funding* for Advanced Practice Nursing, Licensed Master of Social Work Nevada Residents for 2023-2024
Limited HPEP Funding* for Pilot Program, RN to BSN Nevada Residents at College Southern Nevada (CSN), Great Basin College (GBC), Nevada State University (NSU) and Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) for 2023-2024.
*Funding is contingent upon 2023 Nevada legislative appropriation
Submit application by Friday, June 30, 2023, for Priority Consideration
Application review will begin after June 30, 2023.
About The Health Profession Education Program (HPEP) of Nevada
The Nevada Office of WICHE was created to help Nevada students afford the cost of graduate medical education in occupational fields with high workforce demands and a shortage of providers. In exchange for funding, recipients agree to physically reside in Nevada and practice (employment) in your professional field upon completion of your education in a health profession shortage area (HPSA) or a medically underserved area.
Health Profession Shortage Areas (HPSAs) are federal designations that indicate health care provider shortages in primary care, dental health, or mental health. Shortage areas may be:
- Geographic-based (a shortage of providers for the entire population within a defined geographic area).
- Population-based (a shortage of providers for a specific population group within a defined geographic area – e.g., low income, Medicaid recipients, homeless individuals, migrant farmworkers, etc.), or;
- Facility-based (Federally Qualified Health Centers, correctional facilities, tribal facilities, state mental hospitals, etc.)
- There are many urban settings in Clark and Washoe Counties that qualify. Go to Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Find Shortage Areas by Address or HRSA Map Tool to find medically underserved areas or populations to meet HPEP service requirements.
The goal of our program is to grow the Nevada healthcare workforce.
If you anticipate leaving Nevada in the short-term, it is not recommended to apply for or accept funding.
Health Profession Education Program (HPEP) Funding and Service Requirement
|Field of Study||2023-2024 Support Fee Funding Amount||After Graduation and Licensure,|
Employment Service Requirement to Repay Stipend
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)|
* Pilot Program
* For CSN, GBC, NSC, TMCC students only
* Intention of pursuing Advanced Practice Nursing (APRN) in future
|$2,400||1 Year Full Time Employment in Health Profession Shortage Underserved Area in Nevada per Disbursement|
|Master of Science Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)||$7,700||1 Year Full Time Employment in Health Profession Shortage Underserved Area in Nevada per Disbursement|
|Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)||$7,700||1 Year Full Time Employment in Health Profession Shortage Underserved Area in Nevada per Disbursement|
|Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP)||$7,700|
|Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)||$7,700|
|Master of Social Work (MSW)|
*Intention to obtain Licensed Master of Social Worker (LMSW) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or Licensed Master Exam and Advanced Generalist Exam Social Worker (LISW)
Nevada Office of WICHE Requirements
- You must be a Nevada resident for at least one (1) year prior to applying. You must maintain your Nevada residency while in school.
- If awarded, your funding is sent directly to your school on your behalf. You will be responsible for the balance of tuition and fees as determined by your school.
- You must remain and physically reside in Nevada, and practice (employment) in the profession for which you received assistance upon graduation and licensure in your practice field. One year of full-time employment is required per funding disbursement in a health profession shortage area or medically underserved area in Nevada as determined by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Find Shortage by Address or Map Tool. If you need assistance in determining if an area in Nevada meets this requirement, please contact our office.
- Defaulting on the program’s employment requirement will result in your stipend converting to a loan with accrued interest and applicable penalties. Funding must be repaid in service to the State of Nevada within one year after the completion of your education. The participant has up to five years to fulfill their service obligation.
- While you are a participant of the program, you are required to keep the Nevada Office of WICHE informed by completing an online Practice Questionnaire twice a year (fall/spring). Along with the online Practice Questionnaire you will be required to attach supporting documentation to document that you are meeting program requirements. While in school you will need to provide a copy of your unofficial transcript (enrollment), Nevada driver’s license (Nevada residency), and contact information. After you graduate you must provide our office with a copy of your employment verification letter to track the practice service hours completed, practice license, Nevada driver’s license and contact information.
- You may be eligible for one additional funding disbursement as you progress in your studies and will have to reapply for consideration.